Skip to main content

Poll

Should We Get A Public TeamSpeak Server For WebOasis?

Yes
[ 10 ] (33.3%)
No
[ 4 ] (13.3%)
I Don't Care
[ 16 ] (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Topic: Should We Get A Public TeamSpeak Server For WebOasis? (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic

Should We Get A Public TeamSpeak Server For WebOasis?

TeamSpeak Features: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

TeamSpeak is a proprietary voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) application for audio communication between users on a chat channel, much like a telephone conference call. Users typically use headphones with a microphone. The client software connects to a TeamSpeak server of the user's choice, from which the user may join chat channels.

Re: Should We Get A Public TeamSpeak Server For WebOasis?

Reply #1
Any particular reason TeamSpeak is preferable to Discord? The latter seems so pervasive nowadays, it would likely be easier to grow a community there.

Unfavorable policies on piracy/hacking/etc would be my first guess, whereas TeamSpeak allows anyone to host a server and so doesn't moderate the content within them. Am I missing anything?

Reply #2
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any particular reason TeamSpeak is preferable to Discord? The latter seems so pervasive nowadays, it would likely be easier to grow a community there.

Unfavorable policies on piracy/hacking/etc would be my first guess, whereas TeamSpeak allows anyone to host a server and so doesn't moderate the content within them. Am I missing anything?

Unfavorable policies on piracy/hacking/etc

NAILED IT

Reply #3
I'm guessing that TS would have the biggest current adoption base, so that seems like the best idea. Or maybe we could do a poll to see which is most common: TS, Mumble, or Vent.

Reply #4
I always liked mumble over TS/Vent myself. Especially that bit where it normalized volumes. Also it was pretty easy to set up and run a server.

Reply #5
I'd rather like a rocketchat self hosted server for chat

Reply #6
TS is so 2000s
Discord is swag <3

Reply #7
TS is so 2000s
Discord is swag <3

Discord is run by US companies that log and aren't privacy friendly and hand details over to authorities and shut down channels due to piracy and breaking TOS.

So while the discord software might be nice, there is definitely reasons why we won't be using it.

Reply #8
Discord is run by US companies that log and aren't privacy friendly and hand details over to authorities and shut down channels due to piracy and breaking TOS.

So while the discord software might be nice, there is definitely reasons why we won't be using it.

Ouch. Never thought of that way.

Reply #9
Ouch. Never thought of that way.

If I was able to self-host discord...I'd do it in a second...but I don't trust their company or the fact that they are in the US and have generally not fought any subpoenas

Reply #10
would be cool, get to know some of the community n that, it sounds good to me OP